Abbott: Amplatzer Amulet left atrial appendage occluder and delivery system
One device Abbott (NYSE:ABT) has in its pipeline for 2021 is the Amplatzer Amulet left atrial appendage (LAA) occluder device.
Abbott’s Amplatzer Amulet occluder device is designed for a minimally invasive, catheter-based procedure to seal the LAA at its opening, minimizing the opportunity for blood clots to form in the LAA, migrate into the bloodstream and possibly cause stroke in patients experiencing atrial fibrillation (AF).
The device offers cross-sectional orifice coverage; flexible, braided nitinol mesh construction; controlled, precise deployment; a complete seal with the ability to conform to the inner wall of the LAA and to be recaptured and repositioned. It has a broad size range with landing zones from 11 to 31 mm in diameter and proximal device positioning.
Amplatzer Amulet is approved in many regions outside the U.S. and the company is following the typical regulatory timelines for U.S. approval and will share updates on its progress later this year.
“Our latest and leading minimally invasive catheter-based therapies are becoming the new standards of care for treating structural heart issues because they are less invasive than conventional surgery, which allows care for extremely vulnerable patient populations, both young and old,” an Abbott spokesperson told Medical Tubing + Extrusion in an email. Additionally, we have supporting real-world and clinical data to show that our catheter-based therapies are safe, effective and durable treatment options that deliver the best clinical outcomes for patients. Abbott is at the forefront of minimally invasive treatments for structural heart diseases and has the most comprehensive portfolio of on-market and pipeline structural heart treatments available today.”
Abbott has several catheter-based devices in its pipeline this year, including:
- MitraClip transcatheter mitral valve repair system.
- TriClip transcatheter tricuspid valve repair system.
- Tendyne and Cephea transcatheter mitral valve implantation systems.
- Portico transcatheter aortic valve replacement with FlexNav delivery system and Navitor transcatheter aortic valve replacement.
- Amplatzer PFO occluder: patent foramen ovale closure device.
- Amplatzer Piccolo occluder: minimally invasive, transcatheter treatment device for premature babies with patent ductus.